At Old Buckenham High School, we appreciate the importance of inspiring and informing students, providing effective and impartial advice and guidance to enable them to make decisions about their future. We also aim to equip them with the skills, qualifications and experience they need to realise those aspirations.
Throughout their time at Old Buckenham High School we aim to help students to
- identify their individual strengths and weaknesses
- be aware of education, training, the world of work and career opportunities
- be able to make informed choices about the opportunities available at post 16
- be aware of the flexible nature of career development at the present time
For students in Years 7 to 11 impartial advice and guidance is delivered as part of the Personal Development programme. Outside speakers and contributors are invited whenever appropriate.
As part of their impartial advice and guidance students will
- go on a one-week work experience placement in the summer term of Year 10,
- be offered guidance in how to fill in application forms, write a C.V, prepare for interviews etc.
- have a variety of careers lessons and enrichment activities where they will investigate different careers, training and education routes, learn how to action plan and make informed decisions.
Students are offered a one to one interview with Ellen Alexander, our Careers Advisor who works closely with the school throughout the year. Ellen works predominantly with Year 11 students, but many students also see her for the first time in Year 8, 9 or 10. Appointments with or contact details for Ellen Alexander can be requested from the Student Reception.
Old Buckenham High School is fully committed to ensuring that all students are made fully aware of the choices post 16. To this end, at the Year 11 Post 16 Information Evening, information about applying for Sixth Form, College and Apprenticeships is provided by representatives from these sectors.
For further information about our IAG programme please contact Miss Taylor 01953 860233 (school main number) or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Evenings and Open Days
A list of local events for post 16 choices.
National Careers Service
Advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work.
Barclays Life Skills
Helping young people understand and develop the key skills they need to go forward into work.
The information, advice and careers advice for young people in Norfolk.