Our aim is to raise much needed funds for school to further the educational experiences of students. We usually do this by attending concerts, productions and other events, selling refreshments, organising raffles as well as co-ordinating other fundraising efforts. The committee is made up of a group of parents, usually meeting a couple of times a term. In the 12 months prior to lockdown we raised almost £3000 – every penny was donated back into school to support various departments with the purchase of resources or financing projects – see below for where our monies were spent. Unfortunately, Covid-19 has hit us hard in terms of fundraising.
In these uncertain times we are limited to what we can do, but there are 2 ways you can support us to continue to raise vital funds for OBHS:The Friends of OBHS are participating again in a fundraising recycling project in partnership with “Bag2School” – a company that recycle good quality second-hand clothing items. We took part last year and raised a fantastic amount. Filled bags can be dropped off at the Main Reception during school hours. The more we collect the more we will benefit, as all bags are weighed, and we are paid by total weight.
This is a great opportunity to have a clear out of unwanted items and in turn school will benefit! Please return any filled bags to school by Wednesday 7th July.
WHAT WE COLLECT
We accept the following ‘good quality’ items for RE-USE*:
• Men’s, Ladies’ and Children’s clothing
• Paired shoes (tied together or elastic band around)
• Scarves and ties
We DO NOT accept:
• Duvets and blankets
• Pillows and cushions
• Carpets, rugs and mats (including bath, shower and toilet mats)
• Soiled, painted, ripped or wet clothing
• School uniforms with and without logo
• Corporate clothing and workwear
• Textile off cuts, yarns and threaded material
• Soft Toys
In these difficult times, our fundraising has been hugely impacted, so this is one way we can continue our fundraising efforts.
Don’t forget to help raise funds for the FOBHS whenever you shop online! Use easyfundraising to shop with over 4,300 shops and sites including retailers such as Amazon, John Lewis, Argos, ASOS, to name a few. It is easy and completely free – we receive donations whenever you shop, at no extra cost to you. Sign up at https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/obhs/
For those who already use it – we have reached nearly £350 raised just from people shopping online via easyfundraising – thank you!
Many thanks for your support
How we have helped the school
In the previous 12 months before the pandemic the monies raised were spent on: -
• 20 x chopping boards for Food Technology £152
• Schools tennis annual membership for PE dept £35
• 2 x embroidery sewing machines – textiles £150
• £300 donation to Year 11 prom to pay for a photo booth for the evening
• Art department participation in an Open Studio event £110
• Pewter casting machine and block of pewter for DT £176
• 2 x large exam clocks £152
• 3 keyboards, 10 guitars and a new drum kit for Music department £1190
• Water fountain £168
• English dept – prizes for competition £100
• Etching/Printing press for Art department £240
• Prizes for Old Buck Bake Off and photography competition run during lockdown £50
Our members are all parents:
Lisa Groom (Chair), Pip Hoddy-Brown (Vice-Chair), Clare Lamberti (Treasurer), Jakki Cunningham (Secretary), Yvonne Davey, Emma Colby, Jo Stevenson
We are currently looking to recruit some new members. Several have been in office for longer than they should and are stepping down, we need others to take on the roles to sustain the Friends going forwards. If you would like to contact the Friends or are interested in joining our friendly team, please use the following email address: email@example.com.